This week’s episode features Val Nelson, a career and business coach for introverts and highly sensitive people who want meaningful work without the overwhelm. She enjoys helping people clarify their career or self-employment decisions.
🌱 In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How Val realized she’d outgrown the cubicle life.
- The ways that Val second-guessed whether self-employment was for people like her.
- Val’s journey from the cubicle to her current business, including her bridge job!
- How Val shifted her mindset from an employee mindset to a self-employment mindset.
- Val’s experience of the “Christmas-morning-like-magic of what’s possible.”
- Val’s biggest fear in self-employment.
- What Val had to say no to and the strong words of advice she received along her journey.
- How she allowed herself to be and share even more of herself along the way.
- Val’s advice for anyone in the cubicle grind and what you need to listen to.
- How happy Val was to have freedom, even with a pay cut.*
- *Val told me she knows that's not feasible for everyone. Paying the bills is important too.
- Val’s advice for you if you’re someone who counts yourself out before trying something new.
- About Val’s favorite plant is and the sweet reason why it’s so special to her.
- Your reflection questions for this episode: 1) Where in my life am I taking myself out of the game before even trying something new? 2) What else is possible instead of what feels like a barrier?
🌱 Seeds planted in this episode:
Are you resonating with what you're hearing on Outgrow the Grind? If yes, make sure you follow and leave a five-star review at Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to your podcasts!